CBC report showed little high mpv levels. Should I be worried?

I am 33 very healthy female. I just had a CBC done at a clinic and all was normal except my mpv level was a little high at 12.1. Should I be very worried?
I am also an elite marathon runner running about 60 miles per week currently. Could this be a cause?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 38 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

If you have the results, what was the:

1. Hemoglobin
2. Hematocrit
3. MCV
4. MCH
5. RDW

This would be helpful if you have them. Please respond if you do not. Also, can you tell me exactly why you had this lab drawn? Was there any reason such as symptoms that you are experiencing?

Thank you.
Follow-up: CBC report showed little high mpv levels. Should I be worried? 4 minutes later
I'm a teacher so they offered it in our wellness screening. My results are as follows WBC 6.7 rbc 4.57 hemo 14.2 XXXXXXX 42.6 mcv 93.2 mch 31.1 mchc 33.3 rdw-cv 13.4 platelet count 215.

I chose the CBC for the extra fee because I'm always extremely worried about my health. No health problems in past. Last year my throat felt weird so they did an ultra sound on thyroid and found a small nodule. Had biopsy and all was normal. Did blood work then and all was normal then
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 minutes later
These are the red blood cell "indices" that we typically look at. They are all completely normal and there is no area of concern. Your platelet count is completely normal, so the MPV (mean platelet volume) is of no significance given that it is slightly above the normal range. There are no blood disorders that would be associated with an elevated MPV alone without some other finding.

Also, given that this was done purely as a screen, and in the absence of a problem or significant symptoms, makes me even more confident that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the indices. In fact, we almost NEVER look at MPV. The ones that we look at are: WBC, RBC, HCT, HGB, MCV, and platelet count. The others are not usually relevant.

I hope that this helps and good luck! Please remember to leave feedback.