CBC done, positive for atypical lymphocyte, low WBC, normal RBC. What is the diagnosis?

Question
i have my mother's (aged 51 years) cbc report. it indicates '+' for Atypical Lymphocyte. Also her lymphocyte is showing as 48% and her WBC count shows 0000/c.mm. Although her RBC and Haemoglobin is within normal range i.e. 4.34 and 13.2 respectively. What does it indicate? For your reference reports in part has been attached.
Wbc count 0000/c.mm
Lymphocytes 48%
Neutrophils 45%
Eosinophils 2%
Basophils 0
Monocytes 5%
Premature Leucocytes -
Atypical Lymphocyte +
LIC (Large Immatured Cell) -
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

First ,I would like to know the reason why this test was advised. I mean was it done as a routine check up or did she have any symptoms.

Her wbc count is normal.Lymphocyte count is slightly elevated 48%. (normal range is 20-40%) lymphocyte count gets elevated when there is some viral infection or if she is recovering from any viral infection.
Atypical lymphocyte is nothing to worry about as such.It is just a larger version of the normal lymphocyte.It is seen in many conditions like viral infections, infectious mononucleosis, malignancies, drug reaction, etc.

Once the cause is treated,atypical lymphocyte will also diasppear.

Do send me a detailed history as to what symptoms your mother is having right now.

Have a nice day,

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: CBC done, positive for atypical lymphocyte, low WBC, normal RBC. What is the diagnosis? 2 hours later
THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND REPLY.

WE DISCOVERED SHE WAS SUFFERING FROM BLOOD CANCER (AML) IN SEPTEMBER-2010. FOR FOLLOWING TWO MONTHS SHE UNDERGONE CHEMOTHERAPY AFTER WHICH SHE GOT RELIEVED FROM THIS DISEASE. BUT AS A MATTER OF PRECAUTION, WE STARTED GIVING HER AYURVEDIC MEDICINES (FROM FEBRUARY 2011) SO THAT THIS DISEASE CELL DOES NOT APPEAR AGAIN. THIS MEDICINE FROM TIBETIAN DOCTOR IN XXXXXXX PRADESH IS STILL BEEN CONTINUED.

SO WE GET HER CBC TEST EVERY 2 MONTHS AS A ROUTINE CHECK-UP. SINCE LAST THREE REPORTS (EACH WITH A GAP OF 2 MONTHS) LYMPHOCYTE COUNT REMAINS NEAR 48%. EXCEPT THIS HER CBC REPORT REMAINS NORMAL.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

So, as of now, your mother is asymptomatic right.I would say the blood report as of now appears quite normal except for the slight increase in lymphocyte and the atypical lymphocyte. In AML ,there will also be anaemia (low hemoglobin and RBC count) , thrombocytopenia(low platelet count), WBC count may be increased,normal, or decreased.Was her platelet count done?
As of now, her reports look ok.

I would suggest her to get a Blood test done for peripheral smear examination to look for any blast cells.

Hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask any further questions you might have.

If you don't have any further questions,kindly accept the answer.Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day,

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: CBC done, positive for atypical lymphocyte, low WBC, normal RBC. What is the diagnosis? 18 hours later
Thank You Dr. for your valuable advice. I wanted to know if you can suggest any medicine or home remedies to decrease the count of wbc??

Another one thing I wanted to ask is:
During the second round of chemotherapy in Nov. 2010, my mother suffered from High toxicity from the medicine Cytosine, given during the course of Chemotherapy. Her cerebelum (Small mind) got affected very badly because of which she lost her body balance. Hence she was unable to walk and talk. We started with physiotherapy from Dec-2010. We have also shown her to Neurologist and are continuing medicine and physiotherapy till date as suggested by doctor. But she still cant walk though there is slight improvement in her talking. She is totally dependent on family members for her each basic activity like eating, bathing,etc. I wanted to know if there is any treatment for her through which she recovers back her body balance and get her life normal again? If yes kindly provide us with the details of place/medicine or whatever for her treatment. We will be very thankful to you for this.

Thanking You,

Minal XXXXXXX (We live in Surat, Gujarat)

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply

In my opinion, her WBC count of 10,400 is within normal limits and there is no need for reducing her WBC count.

I'm sorry. The only thing I can think of ,in her condition which will bring her back to normal is Physiotherapy. But,you can't expect results overnight.It is going to be a very slow process.It is going to take time.Continue to be supportive. I feel it is a blessing that she has a wonderful daughter like you who cares for her.

In the meantime, you could take her to attend Art of Living classes( XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Shakar) and do breathing techniques like sudarshankriya etc. I feel it will atleast bring XXXXXXX to her mind.

Hope I have answered your question.Feel free to ask any further questions you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries,kindly accept my answer.Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan