CBC done. Found elevation in total proteins and globulin level. Should I be concerned?

Yes on my CBC test my tp is high 8.6, globulin is high 4.7 and my wsr/mod is high 62. I'm a 46 yr old female, should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. However the investigation reports are only a guide and should be taken into consideration with the clinical findings and other investigations.

Though you have mentioned about total proteins and globulin, you have not mentioned about the liver function tests and the lipid profile. If your liver function tests are normal then the total protein level should not be a cause of concern. However the Albumin Globulin ratio (A:G) should be around 2:1 whereas in your case it is around 1:1. This should be interpreted with your liver and kidney function reports.

I believe that "wsr/mod" is a misprint and should have been ESR - erythrocytic sedimentation rate. If it is ESR then it is high. An isolated high ESR value does not have any significance. It may be high in any acute or chronic infection.

So, you should not worry about your reports but get them interpreted in light of other investigative and clinical findings.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal