CBC and Pap smear test stated Microcytic and hypochromic in appearance with anisopoikilocytosis. Elongated red blood cells. Meaning?

Microcytic and hypochromic in appearance with anisopoikilocytosis. Elongated red blood cells are seen . This is after the CBC and Pap smear test.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anemia and its features; nothing serious

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your concern, which is why I shall explain each term to you in detail.

Microcytic and hypochromic: This finding indicates the presence of a specific type of anemia called microcytic anemia, in which red blood cells are smaller than normal. In this type of anemia, the RBC's also appear paler than usual, this appearance is called hypochromic.

Anisopoikilocytosis: This finding means that your RBC's are not all the same size and shape. All the RBC's are supposed to be the same sizer and shape, but when they are not, this is called anisopoikilocytosis

Elongated red blood cells are seen: This proves the presence of anisopoikilocytosis

If I were your doctor I would initiate correction of the anemia after finding out the exact cause for this anemia (it could be blood loss which is not noticed, or dietary iron deficiency). Please contact your doctor for the same. This is nothing to worry about ma'am and can be easily corrected. I hope I have successfully explained all the above information in a manner clear enough. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.