CAT scan showed diverticulitis and cyst on pancreas. Should I have another CAT scan?

Here is my problem. Last August I had cat scan for suspected gall bladder problem, turned out the culprit was diverticulitis which is fine now. As a result do the ct scan they found a cyst 8 mm, on my pancreas. I was referred to a gastro dr. And he assured me it was nothing to worry about, ot was so small and had a calcified appearance, suggested another scan 3 months later which I had and it showed no change. He now suggested one more, which is 6 months later,
I really really don't want to have it, do you think it is necessary??? my GP gave me the impression that this was overkill, but of course he wouldn't say so
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and will try to address it.
Pancreatic cysts are commonly being diagnosed now as CT abdomen is being done regularly for some or other reason.
Pancreatic cysts can range from several millimeters to several centimeters and are generally benign and produce no symptoms however some cysts are cancerous or precancerous.
Precancerous cysts are those cysts which have the potential to become cancerous.

It is because of this possibility of precancerous cyst that your doctor is subjecting you for repeated CTs at intervals so that he can catch the earliest change in the cyst,if at all it happens

I hope to have clarified the matter however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.