CABG, leg injured, gangrene, leg amputated, wound in sternum area, burst, pus, vomiting

My Dad underwent a CABG in Fortis, Bangalore during Oct 2010. There was a wound in his leg (from where the grafts were taken) and it got worsened and he developed a gangrene. Ultimately his right leg had to be amputated below knee. Now he had recovered from that and is undergoing treatment for a infection in his left leg (due to a bed sore) and he is diabetic.
My question is related to a wound in the sternum area (more like a boil) which suddenly burst and pus started oozing from it. Wanted to know if this could be a side effect of the bypass (which happened 8 months back) or could this be a different issue altogether. Also this sternum seems to be projecting out a bit (than we had noticed immediately after the bypass) from the skin, like a small bulge and this new wound is right below it.
He has this vomiting sensation and tends to vomit right before his lunch. Is able to eat again once he throws up.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A wound or a boil like thing appearing in the sternum area can be a consequence of surgery he underwent almost one year ago.

It is very difficult to come to a conclusion based on your description.

It would be easier for me if you can mail the pictures of the wound. You can send it to YYYY@YYYY with Sub:ATTN to DR. Rakhi Tayal.

Your father has a tendency of recurrent infections which do get precipitated due to Diabetes.
The boil which appeared on his sternum can also be a fresh infection.

The tendency of vomiting just before his lunch is a gastric related problem which can be diagnosed by Endoscopy and other tests like Barium swallow. Such projectile vomits are more common in Hiatus hernia or severe gastritis or Pyloric Stenosis. The investigations can be done under the guidance of his treating physician.

I shall be waiting for your pictures before I can give my response.

Follow-up: CABG, leg injured, gangrene, leg amputated, wound in sternum area, burst, pus, vomiting 2 days later
Thanks for the response doctor. As you suggested, i have sent those pictures to the email id mentioned. Please take a look and let me know your opinion.
Also, the would seems to be better today after 2 days of dressing. But still he has slight feeling of nausea before having food and sometime when he throws up, there is a green/dark yellow fluid as well. He is taking antibiotic-Moxif 400 and is that any cause for the color? His appetite is also generally low.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

It seems the wound has appeared due to the bulging sternum or its's a different infection not resulting from the surgery.

Greenish yellow vomitus is suggestive of bile, either due to empty stomach or there might be be a slight obstruction at the lower end of duodenum.

This needs to be investigated with the help of his treating physician.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.