C-section done. Having heart palpitation, numbness in hands and foot. What to do?

Dec 2012

Hi - I have heart palpitations and warmth in my chest. Some numbness in both hands and left foot. I had a c-section three months ago.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting,

Based on your description you might be suffering from a heart condition or an extracardiac condition. You will need to understand that most palpitations are usually not serious and might at times reflex a possible underlying diseases condition. The possible conditions that can lead to palpitations (associated more or less to chest warmness could be grouped to 3 main causes notably:
- Hyperdynamic circulation: valvular incompetence, thyrotoxicosis/thyroid disorder, hypercapnia, pyrexia, anemia, pregnancy (other signs should be included).
- Sympathetic overdrive: panic disorders, hypoglycemia, hypoxia, levocetirizine antihistamines, anemia, heart failure, mitral valve prolapse
- Cardiac dysrhythmias: premature atrial contraction, junctional escape beat, premature ventricular contraction, atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia, ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, heart block.

Checking your blood pressure often is necessary from now hence forth.
Numbness is due to peripheral neuropathy which is a s result of an underlying condition that is probably linked to the palpitations.
I suggest you consult with an internist or first with a primary care physician.
Treating the palpitations will depend on the underlying diseases condition present.

Hope this was useful
Dr Nsah