Bypass surgery, stent inserted, penal injections for ED. Okay?

Cardiologist
Question
I HAD A BYPASS SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO AND A STENT INSERTED LAST YEAR. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM (IF ANY) WITH PENAL INJECTIONS FOR ED?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 11 hours later
Thanks for the query,

I would like to know some details about your LV function, presence of diabetes, symptom status and whether you are taking nitrates.

Follow-up: Bypass surgery, stent inserted, penal injections for ED. Okay? 11 hours later
HI DOCTOR,

I'M SORRY, BUT IF YOU NEED MY LV FUNCTION TO ANSWER MY QUESTION. I DON'T HAVE IT. I RECENTLY STOPPED TAKING ZOCOR AFTER 15 YEARS DUE TO A SEVERE
REACTION. I AM NO LONGER TAKING ANY NITRATES. LAST YEAR DUE TO SHORTNESS OF BREATH I HAD THE STENT INSERTED. I'VE NEVER HAD ANY CHEST PAINS I WALK ON A TREAD MILL 30 MINUTES A DAY AT 3 MILES AN HOUR WITHOUT PROBLEMS. I'VE BEEN TAKING PENAL INJECTIONS FOR ABOUT FOUR YEARS WITHOUT ANY NOTICEABLE PROBLEMS.
IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU MUST HAVE MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE WITHDRAW MY QUESTION.
THANK YOU.

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 6 hours later

Papaverine which is one of the components of penile injection may cause drastic fall in BP in pts with an impaired LV function and those on nitrates, may worsen angina in significantly symptomatic patients and generally these complications are likely if the pt is also a diabetic. From your history I don't think you need to be worried about any cardiac complications though the frequency could be restricted 3 or less times a week.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Bypass surgery, stent inserted, penal injections for ED. Okay? 15 hours later
THANK YOU DOCTOR. I HAVE JUST ONE QUESTION. IT'S REGARDING STENTS, I READ (AND THE REASON FOR MY QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE) THAT PTS WITH A STENT SHOULD NOT BE INJECTED. WHY?

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 14 hours later
Hi again.

There is no such thing like patients on stent should not be injected.

You can continue your injections as well.