By what age is pregnancy possible?

Question
At what age is pregnancy first possible. I.e earliest age wise. And secondly why is pregnancy not possible before a first period or ovulation has not taken place (release of egg etc)
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal -9 hours later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy is possible once ovulation begins Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Pregnancy is possible at Puberty, ONLY WHEN the ovaries start producing eggs. The onset of puberty varies from 10-12 years age. Eggs are produced in the ovaries. Ovulation (that is, release of an egg from the ovaries into the womb-uterus) takes place only once in each menstrual cycle, usually around 14th day from the onset of periods. The egg in the uterus, survives for 24-36 hours only. Pregnancy takes place when a male sperm (released into the vagina during sexual intercourse) fuses with the female egg in the uterus. Hence, fusion of male sperm with the female egg IS MANDATORY for pregnancy to take place. Male sperms remain alive in the vagina for about 24-36 hours. Hence, pregnancy is possible ONLY WHEN the male releases male sperms in the vagina during sexual intercourse at the time of ovulation, a live female egg (released during ovulation) is present in the uterus. Both, periods and ovulation start occurring at puberty. Periods occurs due to hormonal changes, in order to expel the dead, unfertilized female egg. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: By what age is pregnancy possible? 18 minutes later
Thanks. So it's medically impossible for young girls at 3,4,5,6 etc to fall pregnant as their bodies have no egg released and have not started ovulating. This would only happen when a girl reaches around 10-12. Is this correct ?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are correct. Detailed Answer: YES. You are absolutely correct. However, there are some rare conditions in which puberty occurs much earlier. These conditions are rare and therefore of theoretical interest only. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: By what age is pregnancy possible? 1 minute later
Ok so puberty before age 5 for example would be impossible ??

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Puberty at 5 is impossible Detailed Answer: Puberty before 5 years of age is IMPOSSIBLE.

Follow-up: By what age is pregnancy possible? 28 minutes later
Thanks so finally, puberty is impossible therefore pregnancy also impossible ?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: pregnancy impossible Detailed Answer: Yes. Pregnancy is also impossible

Follow-up: By what age is pregnancy possible? 16 hours later
So for my understanding if a child at that age comes into contact with semen, pregnancy would be impossible as ovulation and first period have not taken place. So for pregnancy to take place, there has to be a release of egg into ovaries which only happens during the time of ovulation. This usually happens to girls at the later ages of 8 plus including first period. Would you say this is generally correct ?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You are right Detailed Answer: You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Take care, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal