By-passes surgery done. Noticed varying blood pressure and pulse reading. What is causing spike in pulse?

I am a 77 year old male. I had 3 by-passes in 2003. I take my blood pressure and pulse every morning before breakfast. My blood pressure on an average is 123/72 and my pulse is 75.5. I have had several pulse readings in the last week of 85, 98, 126, andn 92. Are my average B/P and pulse good and what do you think may account for the spike in my pulse in the last week?

Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.

Human Heart beats for about 96,000 a day (72 x 60 x24 ), its rate varies as per circadian rhythm and body's activity. Heart rate stays between 60 to 90 beats per minute. Blood pressure stays close to 120/80 never above 140 mm Hg Systolic and 90 mm Hg of Diastolic.
According to your recording your recordings. Your blood pressure had remained normal but heart rate shows one reading of 126. If you were engaged in physical or mental activity at the time when 126 pulse was recorded. Or, it was an anxious situation then it is OK if you were cool calm and composed at that time too. We will have to analyse further. One spike can be due to a short run of supra venticular ectopics which are present normally. It is seen that 1% beats can be deviation from normal that means about 960 in a day. Though this abnormality or aberration is not of serious types. So one spike can be ignored also if it is supraventricular.

If you have further query to ask, I shall be happy to answer. You are doing well 9 years+ after bypass I must say. keep it up.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW