Buzzing sound in ears, headache, giddiness. Done stapedotomy

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi

I underwent stapedotomy in left year in year 2006. Before operation as well as after operation, I have always had this slight buzzing sound in ears. But since last 1 month, buzzing sound has increased and it has led to headache on left side, giddiness.

AAAAA
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Hi

Thanks of the query

The dizziness and the tinnitus (buzzing sound) in the ear following stapedectomy could be due to leakage of the perilymphatic leak from the inner ear or damage to the endolymphatic organs present in the inner ear or presence of Meniere's disease.

Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the absence of corresponding external sound. In your case, the tinnitus is because of the reduction in the hearing.

Unilateral headache could be related to migraine secondary to the psychological stress.

My advice to you is:
1. To get an audiogram done to assess the nerve damage and consult your ENT doctor.
2. Try taking betahistine 16mg; this will help in reducing the tinnitus and dizziness as well.
3. Take Vitamin B-complex tablets for rejuvenation of the nerves.
4. Reduce salt in the diet, avoid straining.
5. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as diclofenac or ibuprofen can relieve your headache.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon