Buttock pain, leg numbness, calf cramping, cramping in fingers. What may be causing it?

What may be causing my left buttocks to hurt, with numbness down my left leg to my foot. I also have a cramping feeling in my left calf. These symptoms are worse after getting up from sleeping or sitting. I am also now getting cramping feeling in my left forearm and sometimes my left fingers. I have been referred to a pain clinic and have a non specific type of nerve issue. I received a shot in my spine 5 days ago but it does not seem to be helping
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 40 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Since you have history of back pain, now you are having pain and numbness in left buttock which is radiating to leg to foot is seems most probably radiculopathy secondary to root compression.

These roots arises from spinal cord which get compressed due to either fracture of vertebra or disc prolapse.

You also have crampy feeling in left forearm and fingers,which may be due to disc prolapse,most probably due to degenerative changes. Injection of steroids into the spine is generally taken up at a later stage when the pills does not help. If this does not help even, at this stage I would like to suggest to do MRI whole spine screening and to consult spinal surgeon or Neurosurgeon for the same.

I recommned you should avoid all the activities that cause even slight pain at the buttocks/calf. Avoid sitting / standing for more than 20 minutes, driving car (braking can increase the pressure). Sleep with spine straight without pillow or low cushion pillow. Firm mattress to keep spine straight.

I hope I have answered your query,feel free to ask further queries if any.