Butterflies in chest, skipping beats, contracting stomach, pushing against esophagus. Do I need treatment?

I feel like butterflies in my chest, skipping beats, but I also feel like my stomach is contracting and pushing against my esophagus for the last 4days. Have been told by cardiologist in the past pvc's and no treatment needed, lifestyle changes, but I believe is my stomach muscles starting the problem because pushing up
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart.These premature discharges can be caused by heart attacks, electrolyte imbalances, lack of oxygen, or medications. Immediately after a premature ventricular contraction, the electrical system of the heart resets. This resetting causes a brief pause in heartbeat which is detected by you as abnormal beat or a skipping beat.
PVCs can occur in young healthy individuals without any heart disease or high blood pressure.
The stomach pushing up can cause an esophageal reflux which can sometimes cause palpitation but is not likely to produce a rhythm disturbance.
To find out the cause, you need to have holter monitoring, Echo cardiography, exercise cardiac stress test- treadmill test, Stress echo and nuclear imaging.
Some of the blood tests are also needed like serum electrolyte levels, thyroid levels, cardiac enzymes, etc.
You can get all these investigations done under the guidance of your cardiologist and get yourself treated accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Butterflies in chest, skipping beats, contracting stomach, pushing against esophagus. Do I need treatment? 21 hours later
I had those tests done in 2004 and was given Ativan 1 mg to use as needed and told to stop caffeine. It had stopped for a long time. It has restated And now I feel it almost all day. I don't want to take the Ativan because it makes me sleepy and it's a narcotic, what should I do? I also saw the GI md because it feels like spasms in my esophagus, I had endoscopy, told I had gastritis and given Prilosec. What should I do, this things make me nervous, My chest/stomach feel like I'm in a roller coaster.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If your symptoms have not improved after taking prilosec then i feel that anxiety could be the main cause. Taking Ativan will help you. If you are worried about its sedative effect then you can schedule its dosage before going to bed.
Since you had all your cardiac investigation in 2004, it is best to get yourself re evaluated now. Your cardiologist will help you in relieving your symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.