Buspar making me lightheaded and shaky. Is this a temporary side effect? What will happen if I consume alcohol?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello. I just started taking 15 mg of buspar a day. I take 7.5 in the morning, and then another 7.5 at lunch or a little after. It's been making me feel very light headed and shaky for about 30 min and then it goes away. Is this just a temporary side effect? Or will this continue to happen? Also. What will happen if I consume alcohol while on buspar? And is it okay to take it before bed so I avoid the side effects?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 22 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Light headedness and dizziness are known side effects of buspar. If it continues for 7 to 10 days then please visit your doctor regarding change of doses / medications.

2. The frequency and timing of the doses you are taking seems to be all right. It is recommended that you take buspar in divided doses.

3. Stay away from alcohol as it is known to increase this side effect.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB