Bursitis, impingement, bone spur in shoulder, arm hot to touch. Should I be worried? What is causing it?

I have an impingement, bursitis, and a bone spur in my left shoulder and now up upper arm is very hot to the touch should I be worried about this? and what is causing it to be so hot to the touch?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query/

Your arm is most likely warm due to the fact that there is significant inflammation in the shoulder and upper arm. In the setting of inflammation there can be a tremendous amount of swelling, warmth and sometimes redness and more pain. This should respond to rest, anti-inflammatory medication or steroids.

If the warmth progresses or does not improve within 24 hours you should see a physician for a focused consultation and examination to make sure this is not an infectious bursitis - a rare but possible cause of your symptoms.

Since you are already taking steroids and anti-inflammatory medications I would expect your symptoms to level off and slowly improve. As I mentioned however, you should consider seeing a physician if no noticeable improvement is observed in the next day.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this response serves to be helpful. If I can be of any additional assistance please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga