Bursa on knee, numbness in foot, heaviness in foot. Have posterior vitreous detachment, trapped nerve. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my dad's nearly 70 and has had a huge bursa on the front of his knee now for at least six months, in the last few weeks he's experiencing numbness in the associated foot, it's not constant and comes on after an hour of getting up but it is worrying us, he says his foot feels too heavy to lift. He's shuffling about like an old man! He's always been such a fit, strong upright chap but now getting quite low about it all. The doctor hasn't refered him and just says it may be a trapped nerve and feeling will return. No treatment advised for the bursa! My dad has also been told he has posterior vitreous detachment! Please can someone advise on what treatment he needs as I'm really worried about him? Thanks, XXXXXX.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A huge bursa on the front of the knee is not likely to be responsible for the nerve related symptoms your father is having. It is more likely to be due to nerve involvement at the level of spinal cord or at the leg. A parkinson's disease also needs to be ruled out.
He can start taking methylcobalamin supplements and see if there is any improvement. An examination and evaluation by a neurologist is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.