Burping, abdomen feels brush burned, clay white stool, drinking, have digestive problems. Worried about pancreas

Oncologist, Surgical
I wake up burping up gas. my upper abdomen feells like its brushburned when I touch it. Im also worried about my pancreas to be the culprit. I drank pretty good for 20 years. Rum and coke. I had digestive problems recently and had 1 clay white stool. Since then they are brown or brownish XXXXXXX I stopped drinking 4wks ago except for a couple beers. now I feel pains everywhere
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Follow-up: Burping, abdomen feels brush burned, clay white stool, drinking, have digestive problems. Worried about pancreas 10 minutes later
Im scheduled for a complete GI in august. no real nausea or fatigue, but low back pains for about a month and sensitivity in my upper abdomen from right to left just for a few seconds then its gone This all came about because I stopped drinking and backed up instie with pencil sized stools. Since then stools are near XXXXXXX if there is any possible way it could relate to the gall bladder or pancreas I would like to know . Nip it in the bud before anything serious happens
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later

I am glad that you are seeking medical advice for your problem. Although your problems seem to be related to drinking, I am glad that you have cut down on your habit to drinking.

Your upper abdomen pain can be because of two causes: the first is an exacerbation of your heartburn (or GERD), which can occur after consuming fatty food, spicy food or consuming alcohol. Taking antacids usually relieves this condition but I would recommend that you undergo an upper GI endoscopy as this long standing GERD can lead to ulceration and even a malignancy of the oesophagus and the stomach (which can be diagnosed by endoscopy).

The other cause of your upper abdomen pain could be pancreatitis, which is also very common in patients who consume alcohol. Pancreatitis can also explain the episode of clay coloured stools, which you suffered from. To rule out pancreatitis as a cause of your pain, you need to consult your doctor and schedule a CT scan, which is the best modality of pick up pancreatitis.

I hope I have answered your query and you get well soon.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.