Burning throat pain, heavy feeling in chest, coughing after meal. Colonscopy, endoscopy normal. On GERD medicines. Cause?

ENT Specialist
Yes I am a 62 year old female with a 3 month history of left sided burning throat pain, hoarseness, and a heavy feeling in my chest with no coughing....I only cough after a meal.....I have been to a good ENT 3 times with laryngoscopies, and referred for a neck CT with contrast and MRI of the neck with and without contrast, both of which were negative.....I am on Omeprazole, twice a day....but have no symptoms of GERD......she is frustrated as am I....I have not been to a gastroenterologist, but 2 years ago my colonscopy and endoscopy were there any thing else I should be looking for...lungs, etc...or is this something that will utlimately resolve and forget about it
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have coughing after a meal, burning throat pain, hoarseness and a heavy feeling in the chest, the other possible causes are:
A. Food intolerance
B. LPR: Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux (where GERD symptoms are absent)
C. A post nasal drip
D. Lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat or back of the tongue
E. A neuralgia

2. Esophageal manometery may help.

You may discuss this with your doctor.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.