Burning throat, endoscopy shows enlarged fatty liver, negative for hepatitis. Is there a better test than endoscopy?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am a male 37 years old. I had done my LFT done today.
I have had a buring sensation just under the throat at times and it stays there for some times may for almost half day etc. Then I have cosulted a doctor and got done the blood tests and and ultra sound. Endoscopy says fatty liver, slightly elnarged. I dont drink, smoke or any such things. Then doctor conducted hepatis a, b tests all come negative. He adivsed that there won't be much of any prorblem, if you want then you can go for an endoscopy. Is there any better test than an endoscopy as I am not very impressed to go for an endoscopy.

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

What I gather from your history is that your sonography report says fatty liver and NOT the endoscopy report.

Your history is suggestive of reflux disease.

I would like to know about your dietry habits and your body built; Also your occupation and level of stress involved.

Endoscopy is best as it can detect lesions upto 2mm. Yet as an option you may go for Barium Meal xrays

Get back to me with query replies and I will help you out.

Get well soon

Follow-up: Burning throat, endoscopy shows enlarged fatty liver, negative for hepatitis. Is there a better test than endoscopy? 15 hours later
Yes it was not endoscopy, it was sonography only.

My diet consists of Morning breakfast mostly rice & wheat preprations like idli, dosha etc. Lunch homley, rice and vegitables. fish & Eggss twice a week. No meat.
Dinner Chapathi & Vegitables. Used to take fruits & milk almost every day.

Since having sugar, morning two cup of tea and evening one cup of tea without sugar With evening tea some snacka like biscuits, chips ects at times fired ones too.

I dont consume alcohol, or any sort of drugs or not even aerated beverages like pepsi, cola etc. Dont eat outside regularly. No late night parties. Job is business again not invloved in any amount of travel. Office confined almost with the Laptop.
Go back to home and reach home by 7 pm and go for a brisk walk daily in the evening for almost 45 miniues. Go to bed by 11 and woke up by 6 AM. Not of much stress involved, but by nature I am very very short tempered and loose cool often for very silly matters!

I am 180Cm in height and weight is abt 86 Kg.

I am interested to know this disease in any case can become a liver scerosis or not.

Shall await for the expert opinion

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 31 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.
It is possible that you are suffering from stress induced gastritis. You need to keep your cool. Although an endoscopy can help definitively diagnose this condition, a trial therapy of proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole is warranted before an endoscopy is done. Since this is a prescription drug, I would suggest that you consult your physician for the same.
If the symptoms don’t improve despite this therapy, an endoscopy should be done.
This condition cannot lead to cirrhosis.
I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.
Get well soon