Burning, swollen and dry lips, itchy rash, red bumps. Am I having an allergic reaction?

i thought I was dehydrated and my lips felt a little burning and swollen and dry so i started using a lot of eos lip chapstick thing and then my lips started developing an itchy rash and tiny red bumps on my lips. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to drinking too much cranberry juice which i was drinking about 16-18 ozs. a day. Went to a walk in clinic and they said to see if it goes away. It did feel as if it was going away and my bf told me to put abreva on it because of the little bumps and it seemed to help. Well then I went to the beach and it all seemed to go away, my lips just felt very dry and chapped and again I thought it was just dehydration but now my lips are swollen again and the itching is back and the red bumps seem to spread all over my top lip. I also drank some orange juice the night before and yesterday morning. Could I be allergic to acidic foods? Also while at the beach while at my families home i ate some strawberries and started feeling a bit of itching on my upper lip but nothing else.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Allergy to foodstuff only occuring on lips is very rare.
The reaction can occur as a result of using chapstic, sun exposure etc.
Sun exposure leading to such a irritation on lips occur in cases of actinic chelitis and affects lower lip more then the upper lips.
The treatment involves avoidence of sun exposure, other cosmetic items like lipstics and chapstics and application of mild topical steroids.

Other possibilities include allergic dermatitis, herpes labialis, contact irritant dermatitis.

A careful examination and evaluation of history can ascertain the exact dignosis.

Dr.Rohit Batra