Burning stabbing pain in pelvis. Taking gabapentin. Now painful perineum. Blood test normal. What to do?

Jun 2013
My 12 to daughter has as yet an undiagnosed burning stabbing pain in her pelvis which is unremitting for nearly three weeks. Her vagina has been swollen but tests have as get come back as negative for a suspected virus. My doctor has her on a small dose of gabapentin 300 gms which has yet had no effect . She is in constant pain which disturbs her sleep. This morning she is complaining of a sore perinium . So I had a look and she has a long split along the back between her bottom cheeks . It's not a fissure . !!!
She did have a pimply type rash across the back if her neck a few weeks ago . I put it down to the serious stress she has been under at school for a long time. She had a blood test also which came back negative . But as the results came back within the hour . I don't think it was as extensive as it should have been . We see her go later next week. I feel we should be getting a swab from this split and ask for a more extensive blood exam. ???? What would you be doing in my position . XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 47 minutes later
Hi there

Thanks for your query

The region needs to be inspected by a doctor. Please take her to a doctor to find out what the "long split" is? I think that it may be a crack in the skin due to excessive dryness.

I also think that the gabapentin will take some time to take effect, but stabbing pain in the pelvis deserves attention if it is not going away.

Have you had your daughter tested for a UTI) or in other words has she had a urinalysis done? If not please get one done as soon as you can. There are medications that can treat infections.

I am glad she does not have a viral infection though you do not mention what test was done.

I would also think that pregabalin is a better anti neuropathic pain medication than gabapentin. So if your medication is not working it might be worth a switch to another medication.

I hope this helped.

Take care and have a lovely day!