Burning sore throat, yellow phlegm, muscle and joint pain, nausea, headache, hot while breathing, no fever

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi woke up this morning with a burning sorethroat I feel a little bit better after I spit out some sticky yellow phlem. As the day goes by I start feeling achy, my muscle and my joint hurts especially my hands and I feel a little bit nauseous. I feel like I'm cold at random regions of my body even when i'm covered with clothing or are under the blanket. I have head ache. I also feel hot sometimes especially when breathing. I don't have fever. My symptoms started the night before. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Your symptoms of sore throat with phelgm and generalized weakness and muscle aches are suggestive of a throat infection most likely a viral infection. Bacterial infections thought can't be ruled out completely.

Usually such viral infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Burning sore throat, yellow phlegm, muscle and joint pain, nausea, headache, hot while breathing, no fever 20 hours later
My sorethroat seems to be really bad when sleep and waking up. Why is that and also why do I feel cold even when covering with blankets and covered with clothing. And final questions is does this symptoms connected with the symptoms I discuss with you last time?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The symptoms that you have mentioned now are related to your earlier symptoms. Allergies do tend to get worse during the time that you have mentioned. Actually, allergies provide the base for bacterial infections and this is what you are currently experiencing.
You are feeling cold because of certain chemicals that are produced in the body during an infection. These chemicals are a part of the protective response of the body.
As soon as the infection resolves, you will feel better.
Currently, your symptoms are suggestive of a bacterial infection. Oral antibiotics like azithromycin or amoxicillin clavulanate will be helpful in early recovery. Please see your physician for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please close this discussion in case there are no further queries.