Burning smell and different taste in mouth. Could it be sign of tumour?

why do you think I smell burning or sometimes chemicals and a different taste in my throat? a friend told me that the smell could be a sign of a tumor in the body anywhere. could that be true?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not necessarily associated with tumor...

Detailed Answer:

No, it is not true. Smell burning or chemicals would be a symptom of gastrointestinal problems such as gastritis, GERD, liver or cholecyst.

In addition, infection of the throat such as viral pharyngitis, laryngitis or tonsillitis (bacterial or viral), can cause such smell and need appropriate treatment with antibiotics or antivirals.

In case the smell is associated with hoarseness, cough or lumps in the neck, then, you should run many other tests for tumors in thyroid gland or throat, etc.

If you are using any other drug on daily basis,such as metformin, it could be the cause of smell.

I also suggest to test the liver enzymes and kidney function to exclude these problems too.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!