Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation while urination, history of diabetes. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Sir,
My mother is feeling some burning sensation during urination for the last one week. Moreover, she being a diebetic patient for more than 30 years , has to urinate every 1/2 or 1 hour, which is common for diabetic patients . Kindly suggest some medicine for the problem.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Your mother's symptoms indicate she has a UTI), which is more common in females. To confirm the diagnosis, you can get a routine urine examination done which will show pus cells and protein in the urine.
If it is actually a urinary tract infection, then you need antibiotics to treat her problem. For symptomatic relief, she needs to have plenty of fluids and do take plenty of fresh cranberry juice.
Kindly visit a Gynecologist, so that he/she may do a physical assessment and suggest few tests like Bloodwork, Urinalysis, Urine Culture or Ultrasound abdomen to rule out Urinary infection, to authenticate his/her clinical findings.

The treatment plan will be formulated accordingly after confirmation. Antibiotics are the typical treatment for a UTI.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.