Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation while urinating,bladder pains,involuntary urination.

Hi, i am a ketamine user, currently i frequent visits to the toilet, and had burning sensations when urinating, an inability to “hold it in”, and extreme bladder pains, i will wake up every hour at night to urinate. Is this damage severe and irreversible? Is there any help i can get if i stop using it now? I'm currently a father of a 3 year old girl and one more baby girl is coming... I dont want to live with this anymore... please help me!!!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 22 hours later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with URINARY TRACT INFECTION(UTI) rather than abuse of Ketamine. This cause is treatable and reversible. But I would suggest you to completely avoid abuse of ketamine.

There might be a possibility of you harboring a Renal or Urethral stone as they are the most common cause for Recurrent UTI.

It would be better to get examined and evaluated by an Urologist. Few investigations like Routine Urine tests and Abdominal Sonography might be done and the treatment would be followed accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Follow-up: Burning sensation while urinating,bladder pains,involuntary urination. 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

I am suffering from this condition for about 1 year already, I have already made an appointment with my Urologist. I have stopped using ketamine now. but I just want to know if the treatment requires operation? or just medicaticion will do?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 15 hours later

Thank your reply.

Medical Management or Surgery is your main question: This is called definitive management in medical terms.

It is too early to comment about definitive management even before the possibilities are ruled out.

If it is simple UTI – It requires only medicines to treat it.

If it is Stone: Depending on the size of the stone and where it is located, the treatment vary.

Generally stones less than 5 mm pass off on their own, larger ones require surgical procedures.

You may enquire at your nearest chemist shop if there is an over the counter pain killer with Ibuprofen or Pyridine

Meanwhile, void urine frequently, void it before and after intercourse. Drink plenty of water. All these acts reduce the growth of bacteria and futher help in early recovery.

So please XXXXXXX your Urologist, get the investigations done. Let me know his primary opinion and I shall be available for second opinion.

Wish you Good Health