Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation while urinating, swollen penis tip and blood in urine. Underlying cause?

I want to pee this morning and it burned and there was blood and the tip of penis was a little swollen. Went back to bed and about two hour later went back to the bathroom again and all was normal. No blood, burning, and no swelling.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely infection of urethra

Detailed Answer:
There is a significant possibility of your having acquired an infection of the urethra which is the tube which conducts urine gr bladder to outside. This can be ascertained by me and of a urine analysis and urine culture. You might get benefit from use of antibiotics like doxycycline and alkalinization of urine with citrate syrup might help reduce the infection further. In view of one episode of bleed I suggest you have an ultrasound examination also done of bladder and kidneys. Rarely some patients might require an endoscopy examination of the urethra which is easily performed in the office of the Urologist.
Hope I have been of help.