Burning sensation under the feet, back stiffness. Can this be nerve compression, advise?

Dear Sir,

Since last couple months I experience needle / burning like sensation under my feet and some time stiffness on lower back. The symptoms are relieved and you feel OK but it re-occur. Is it to do with some nerve compression??? I am 47 years, Male and got all my routene test six months back and are ok. Can you please advise why this is happening and what should I do???
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 41 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     47 year old male
•     Known case of Sinus problem
•     Complaints of: burning sensation in feet, stiffness on lower back and poor sleep.

Symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

With this information there are following possibilities in your case in following hierarchy:
-Nerve compression: need imaging studies like MRI spine to confirm diagnosis
-Anxiety: need treatment with psychiatrist
-Vitamins deficiency: take multivitamins

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

For sleep difficulty follows below principles of sleep hygiene which will help you in long term:
•     Fix a bedtime and an awakening time. Do not be one of those people who allows bedtime and awakening time to drift. The body "gets used" to falling asleep at a certain time, but only if this is relatively fixed. Even if you are retired or not working, this is an essential component of good sleeping habits.
•     Avoid napping during the day
•     Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bedtime. This includes caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate, so be careful.
•     Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime
•     Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Regular exercise, particularly in the afternoon, can help deepen sleep.
•     Use comfortable bedding.
•     Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated.
•     Block out all distracting noise, and eliminate as much light as possible.
•     Reserve the bed for sleep. Don't use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room. Let your body "know" that the bed is associated with sleeping.
•     Practice relaxation techniques before bed. Relaxation techniques such as yoga, XXXXXXX breathing and others may help relieve anxiety and reduce muscle tension.
•     Don't take your worries to bed. Leave your worries about job, school, daily life, etc., behind when you go to bed. Some people find it useful to assign a "worry period" during the evening or late afternoon to deal with these issues.
•     Establish a pre-sleep ritual. Pre-sleep rituals, such as a warm bath or a few minutes of reading, can help you sleep.
•     Getting Up in the Middle of the Night :Most people wake up one or two times a night for various reasons. If you find that you get up in the middle of night and cannot get back to sleep within 15-20 minutes, then do not remain in the bed "trying hard" to sleep. Get out of bed. Leave the bedroom. Read, have a light snack, do some quiet activity, or take a bath. You will generally find that you can get back to sleep 20 minutes or so later. Do not perform challenging or engaging activity such as office work, housework, etc. Do not watch television.
•     A Word About Television: Many people fall asleep with the television on in their room. Watching television before bedtime is often a bad idea. Television is a very engaging medium that tends to keep people up. We generally recommend that the television not be in the bedroom. At the appropriate bedtime, the TV should be turned off and the patient should go to bed. Some people find that the radio helps them go to sleep. Since radio is a less engaging medium than TV, this is probably a good idea.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Burning sensation under the feet, back stiffness. Can this be nerve compression, advise? 13 minutes later
Thanks Dr.Mittal, I just need to know is lower back stiffnesss due to wrong posture for long number of years can be the reason of burning / tingling sensation under feet. I am regular with my evening exercise and very active other wise.

Can it be cured with Physiotherepy???

2) Does these symptoms can erupt due to Stress and Anxiety??? and do I need it to take seriously??? OR it will go with time .
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 12 minutes later
Hello again,

1) Lower back stiffnesss can be due to wrong posture leading to nerve compression. It can also cause burning in feet, because nerve to feet goes through spine.

2)Does these symptoms can erupt due to Stress and Anxiety??? and do I need it to take seriously??? OR it will go with time.
Ans: Yes, Anxiety is possibility, if you also have some other symptoms of anxiety as I listed. Sleep problem is one of the symptom of anxiety. It is not serious but treatment may relieve most of your problem.

In last, Both problem can also possible in your case. So, it need evaluation, as I advised in primary reply.

Wish you good health.