Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation, red bumps on penis head and foreskin after intercourse

Dermatologist
Question
Dear Doctor,

I feel a burning sensation on my penis. I can see a few red bumps , slightly raised from the skin on the penis head and on the foreskin.

I am 27 years old and married. The burning increases and I see bumps after sex.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 16 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

The most probable reason for burning sensation over tip of penis along with the bumps seems to be Herpes genitalis.

Kindly look carefully if these bumps are water filled small lesions .
Is this the first time that you are having this.And I would also like to know as to how long you have been having this problem.

This can be diagnosed by simple tests like Tzank smear test and HSV(good pathology clinic.

The treatment consist of anti viral medicine like acyclovir or valacyclovir(if the diagnosis comes positive) .

Please consult a competent dermatologist for physical examination, evaluation and to get the proper anti viral prescribed to you.

Please reply back with the above answers as this will help me in answering you better.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Follow-up: Burning sensation, red bumps on penis head and foreskin after intercourse 4 hours later
Dear sir,

This is the first time this is happening.

I had this last week and had applied Dipgenta+ . it was gone after applying the cream. It returned yesterday after sex. I applied the same cream again and today I find that there is no burning, and the small spots have reduced in size and number.

There is no water in the bumps. The bumps are painless and are very small.

Kindly advise.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for your reply,

Since you had a recurrence with a weeks time and the lesions also disappeared after applying dipgenta cream,this would mean that it is not a herpes infection .Herpes also shows water filed lesions which in your case is not so.

This would mean that it is just a inflammatory response to either a sexual contact or the friction associated during sexual intercourse.

I don't think it is of worry at all .But kindly get a blood sugar level checked ,as in diabetes one can get burning sensation over penis.

There are times that a lubricating agent or a condom (esp perfumed ones) can cause allergic reaction and lead to bumps over tip of penis. In such case also, lesion would go off after using dipgenta cream.

I would advise you to change any lubricating agent you are using and also change the brand of condom you are using .But it is important to use any lubricating agent in such cases as friction can cause such bumps.

Hope I have answered your query.

“ Wish you Good Health”

regards,
Dr.Bharat chawda