Burning sensation on tip of penis and in left leg. Tip of penis is red and swollen. Urine test was negative. Suggest the treatment?

I have a burning sensation on tip of penis,area between anus and scrotum,and also in my left leg ,went to my doctor had a urine test for chlamydia and gonorrehea and it came negative ,I have had this feel now for a month,there no other symptoms like discharge ,fevers or pain.tip of penis red and swollen what can it be and what treatment would I need.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prostatitis or epididymitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

From your symptoms, the possibility of prostatitis or epididymitis need to be considered.

Prostatitis is inflammation of the prostate gland. It is one of the most common reasons for men to be seen. It is NOT associated with prostate cancer, and there is NO link between prostate cancer and prostatitis. This condition can be caused by chronic or acute bacterial infections, and most commonly, there is inflammation but no bacteria present (but the semen does contain products of inflammation). There is also prostodynia, which produces pain but no objective findings.

To test for prostatitis, an analysis of the semen is made, and often it can involve a prostate exam as well. In prostatitis, Treatment for this involves antibiotics for a few weeks. Medication can also be given to relax the prostate so it is not as painful.

Epididymtis is an inflammation of the epididymis, the collection of tubes that transports semen from the vas deferens. As you have mentioned one month duration of your symptoms, it might be chronic epididymis. Acute epidydimitis tends to occur suddenly and resolve with treatment, the chronic condition occurs gradually. Generally, in acute epidydimitis the urine is infected, in chronic, it is not. The chronic case generally does not produce a red or swollen testicle, but signs and symptoms do include pain in the testicles. There can also be (but doesn't have to be) bloody semen, pain on intercourse, and in the acute case, fever and a penile discharge.

I suggest a visit to a urologist who can confirm the diagnosis and give necessary treatment.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor