Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation on the tip of the penis, pain post urination. STI tests normal. Causes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello, I'm 19 years old, 65kg, 1,65m. For the past few weeks i've been feeling a burning feeling on the tip of my penis. It comes and go at random times but it mostly comes after I urinate, it last for quite some hours. I've been tested for STIs and the results became clean. What could it possibly be and what can I do for it?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later

Burning pain during or after urination mostly is caused by a lower local mucosal injury to the urethra or urethritis.

Since you have already been tested for STI , I assume you have also got your urine routine tests done. If not then, the first step is to consult your doctor and get investigations done like urine routine and culture, blood counts, renal profile.

If these tests are normal, then you are most likely not having any infections, but only minor local mucosal abrasions.

If they are suggestive of any infection, it can be resolved with appropriate antibiotic treatment.

On your part, you have to ensure good genital hygiene and drink plenty of water for better relief.
If burning persists, then your doctor may prescribe you an urinary analgesic like syrup cital in prescription dose, along with the appropriate antibiotic treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.
Follow-up: Burning sensation on the tip of the penis, pain post urination. STI tests normal. Causes? 22 hours later
In case I have local mucosal abrasions do I need to be prescribed any medication for that or can be solved with what I have to do in my part (Drinking plenty of water etc... )?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

In that case it might resolve on its own with hydration, but if infected then you might require antibiotics. So you can wait and watch for a week maximum, but it's always better to get investigated and be sure.

Wish you good health.