Burning sensation on the outside of right ear. Suggest treatment

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hi. I feel a strong burning sensation on the outside of my right ear, where my ear connects to my head (on the top of my ear). It only hurts when I touch it, but it's quite painful. My wife says she can't see anything to indicate an issue when she looks at the area where I feel the burning feeling.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
could be skin infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon who will try to help you out with your problem.

I have understood that you probably have a skin infection in the area of the junction of the ear and your attachment of the ear.

you need to do these:
1. Do not take head bath and keep the area dry and clean for at least a week.

2. I would usually start an antibiotic like amox-clav along with a pain killer. Your doctor will know about this.

3. You can apply a local anti septic ointment to the area in consideration with your doctor

4. Do not meddle with your finger

5. Wait for couple of days with the above treatment for the pain to become better

6. If it does not become better then you may consult an ENT doctor or get back to me

7. If the problem recurs then you must take a blood screening for tox and sugar and get back to me with the reports. If it becomes fine then you have nothing to worry about

Let me finally assure you that skin infections are common in that area and they will definitely become better so do not worry

Hope your doubts are clearer and i would be happy to answer any more doubts that you may have

Take care and regards

Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Burning sensation on the outside of right ear. Suggest treatment 10 minutes later
Is it normal for a skin infection to present itself without any visible symptoms in the area where the pain is?
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

In the early stage of infection which we call the pre cellulitis or pre inflammatory stage you may have infection without any obvious sign.

In any case when there is pain on touch we will always assume it to be infection.

But don't worry it will become better in a day or two

Take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan