Burning sensation on the outer part of left knee. What could this be?

Hi, I have a burning raspy kind of sensation on the outer part of my left knee just below the patella. It is often not present and mostly does not irritate when I rub it. It has come on gradually over the past few weeks and is intensifying. Feels something like skin irritation but I wonder if it is a neuropathy of some kind. Otherwise I am in great shape for a 69 year old, and have no medical issues at all and take no prescription medications. I was identified as pre-diabetic over a year ago, but now eat a near vegetarian low sugar diet so exhibit no other symptoms. I do take supplements that include large doses of Vitamin D and E as well as other supplements such as l-arginine l- citrulline and others to support cardiac and sexual health
Thank you, additional info is that there is absolutely no change in skin due to this feeling. The area appears completely normal.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be a nerve related cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The burning raspy kind of sensation near the knee is suggestive of a neural ( nerve compression or nerve irritation related) cause. The nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself in the region of lower back. There can be mild lumbar disc.
These neural symptoms are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement. You can take some anti-inflammatory pain killer like acetaminophen till you consult your neurophysician.
Taking some methylcobalamin supplements regularly can also be helpful.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.