Burning sensation on the arm , Anxiety, methylcobalamin supplementation for nerve compression

30 year old female. 5'7 145 pounds. Non smoker or drinker. Suffer from sever GAD. Traveled 800 miles in the past 2 days. I drove 7 hours yesterday, my husband drove today. As an anxiety sufferer I like to be in control and was very anxious and tense while my husband was driving today. The instant we pulled up into our motel about 30 minutes ago. My shoulder blade felt like there was a burning sensation in there. My arm felt somewhat like it was also burning and the bottom palm of my hand close to my wrist felt the same way. The feeling has now went away. I was just wondering if this could have been because of the traveling or if it could be something heart related. I felt no pain, nausea, shortness of breath or anything like that. But with GAD I worry over every pain. I really dont want to spend our family vacation worrying about something I dont really need to be even worrying about. Thank you for your time.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
Your symptoms are most likely to be due to nerve compression due to abnormal arm position during traveling. keeping your arm resting behind the car seat or over your head causes stretching of nerves in the armpit causing irritation of the nerves leading to such symptoms.
There is nothing much to worry . I expect your symptoms to subside in 2-3 days and give adequate rest to your arm. Taking methylcobalamin supplements will hasten the recovery.
If the symptoms are persistent then i encourage you to visit your physician for proper examination and necessary investigations.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.