Burning sensation on soles of feet, sensation of socks being bunched up under balls of feet. What causes this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My questions are regarding the feet. First, when I go to bed I get a burning sensation on the soles of both feet. I have to get my feet out from under the covers to get relief. What causes this? Second, I constantly have the sensation that my socks are bunched up under the balls of my feet, even if I am barefoot. I have noticed this developing over several years, but lately the "knots" are getting quite bothersome. What causes this? Are either of these problems something to be concerned about? Thank you so much for your time and attention.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems to be a nerve related cause. Many causes of such sensations in the feet are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause burning sensations. Both your symptoms are likely to be due to same cause.
The nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.
Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.
In case the symptoms are persistent then consulting a neurologist will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.