Burning sensation on penis, irritation while urinating, testicular discomfort. Had unprotected sex. Should I be concern?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi doctor, about a month ago I had unprotected sex, within 2 days there was a burning sensation around the tip of my penis but no bumps or marks, slight irritation while urinating, and now I'm developing testicular discomfort, I haven't had any discharge and these symptoms come and go.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 54 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your symptoms, it is likely that the testicular discomfort is due to an epididymitis or an epididymo-orchitis. This is an infection / inflammation involving the epididymis (a curved structure behind the testis where the sperm is stored) or the testis. It is quite possible that this has been cuased by a genito-urinary infection which you must have contracted due to the unprotected sexual intercourse.

I would advise you to see a urologist, to have a proper physical examination and further investigations (like a urine culture test and a Doppler ultrasound of the testes) in order to confirm the diagnosis. Accordingly, you may need to be treated with a course of appropriate antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Burning sensation on penis, irritation while urinating, testicular discomfort. Had unprotected sex. Should I be concern? 13 minutes later
Thanks doctor, can this be passed on to other partners through oral or vaginal intercourse?

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Epididymitis or epididymo-orchitis is not generally contagious, but if it is accompanied by a urethritis (i.e. an infection in the urinary passage) also, then it is possible for the infection to get transmitted through sexual contact.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist