Burning sensation on nipples after running. What is the reason? How to cure it?

I had ran Half marathon yesterday and since then have burning sensation on both my nipples? Pl let me know the reason and remedy?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 35 minutes later

The most probable cause of the burning sensation that you have been experiencing is the irritation of the nipples due to constant friction to your sweat shirt while running. If the shirt was made of synthetic material, the skin irritation will be increased. So it would be advisable to wear a cotton shirt next time.

The sweat and grime can also contribute to this. I would suggest that you keep the area clean and apply vaseline or any other moisturizer over the nipples to prevent dryness and burning sensation.

Do not worry this problem is commonly seen in athletes. Normally athletes use Nip guards to prevent this. The next time round, you can try these too.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.