Burning sensation on finger, persisting white marks on skin. What could it be?

Question
Hi, this afternoon I felt a burning sensation on my fingers I looked down and saw white marks on my skin. I washed my hands but the burning came back and so did the white spots. Until my 10 fingers were covered with them. What is it.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

It looks like irritant contact dermatitis. Wash the area with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. XXXXXXX it dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area or use a thin layer of Vaseline. Creams containing ceramides and calamine lotion may be helpful but avoid use of any creams containing propylene glycol, lactic acid, urea or salicylic acid.

Also you can take oral antihistaminics like Benadryl or Zyrtec and use topical steroids but don’t take them without a medical supervision unless prescribed by your doctor. He will start with mild steroids first. Topical immunomodulators like pimecrolimus and tacrolimus can be used in severe conditions but they are available under prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Burning sensation on finger, persisting white marks on skin. What could it be? 1 hour later
I did use the cetaphil to wash my hands I also A & D ointment, however my finger are very tender, and I am itchy all over my body. I have checked my entire body and the white spots are almost gone. What else can I do. Is there a way I can find out what irritated my skin so bad it was frightening.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Such an itchy rash which is generalised is due to an allergic reaction. Without undergoing tests like skin prick test and RAST it is very difficult to say what caused the itchy rash. However try to remember the things which you have come in contact with or eaten during the last 24 hours. Maintain a food diary and if you have any allergic reaction after coming in contact with that allergen again then you should avoid it.

Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl and use calamine lotion. If the symptoms are worse then you may need topical or oral steroids like Dermacort.