Burning sensation in the top abdomen, persistent, stabbing pain. Had a ruptured disc. Why is this caused?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I began experiencing a burning sensation in the top abdomen center but slightly off to the right. Started 9 months ago. I am a long time user (25 years) of ibuprofen 1600mg/day and vicodin 2/day but stopped talking all of that about 6 months ago. I am otherwise healthy. Social drinker. Good healthy low carb diet. I lift weights and do cardio 6 days/week. The burning pain has changed in recent weeks and started traveling. I'll get sharp pains down around the rib cage to both sides. Also get some stabbing pain in the center of the stomach and up into the chest area and throbbing sharp pain down into the left lower outside abdomen. There is no pain radiating into the back. I have read about gallbladder symptoms but i don't appear to have any of those - no discomfort after fatty meal, no belching, no pain going into the back, no blood or vomit or nausea. My bowel movements are normal. I supplement daily with flaxseed and phyllium husk. I am in some sort of pain or discomfort basically as long as i am awake. gets worse then calms down but it always there. Nothing seems to relive it. I have no known health problems other than a ruptured lumbar disc. Help.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 9 hours later
From your history, it appears to be pain due to peptic ulcer disease as you have been consuming pain killers for the last 25 years. Since there is no weight loss or anorexia the chances of it being a serious issue are significantly less.
I would suggest that you consult your Liver function test
4. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
5. Ultrasound of the abdomen.
Persisting upper abdominal pain could be due to peptic ulcer and its complications including malignancy. And hence the above mentioned investigations are necessary to look for it.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.