Burning sensation in the stomach with pain, acid reflux, bloating, constipation. Concerned about having bowel cancer

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
i suffer with anxiety and for the past three wekks have been suffering and i am miserable i was worried that i had bowel cancer i am 25. but i get burning stomach sensation in the top of my abdomine and a constant dull ache . constant feeling sick with acid reflux and bloatedness the burning all though not painfull is horrible and feels hot. my bowels have also been messy and burning and very offensive and then hard and constipated. this is making me feel very anxious and miserable from feeling so crap. i also get pulling in my left lower abdomine please help
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
You need not worry. There is no need to be worried about cancer. Cancer of the bowels is virtually unheard of at your age and with your symptoms. From your description, it appears that you are suffering from stress induced peptic ulcer disease. This can be confirmed by endoscopy. This will confirm the presence and severity of the problem which will enable one to administer specific treatment.
Till that comes through in the mean time I would suggest the following
1. Have small meals every 3-4 hours.
2. Avoid red meats, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco and cocoa containing sweets.
3. Drink plenty of water for good bowel movements
4. Natural antacids like bananas would prove useful.
5. Sleep with the upper body slightly elevated to prevent reflux. You can use 3-4 pillows under your head for the same.
7. Mild antacids like sucralfate and omeprazole in low dosages will be of help initially. You can take Tablet Prevacid OTC 1 tablet daily for next 1-2 weeks.
8.Regular exercise for 40 minutes like walking will destress you.
I am sure these measures will help. If you have any more concerns, I will be happy to help.
With regards
Follow-up: Burning sensation in the stomach with pain, acid reflux, bloating, constipation. Concerned about having bowel cancer 2 days later
oh my god i have an ulcer what isf it busrsts im really scarde now. i mentioned an ulcer to my gp and he said no no i have ibs . im really scarde now . i really dont know if i would cope with an endoscopy because of the severity of the anxiety. ulcers are serious are they. what should i do ahhh i do smoke what if something bad happens .
Follow-up: Burning sensation in the stomach with pain, acid reflux, bloating, constipation. Concerned about having bowel cancer 5 minutes later
sorry and i am taking citilopram a mild antidepressant for anxiety. oh i am really worried i have a peptic ulcer isnt that the worst one will it go away should i go to acident and emergancy because my gp only thinks i have ibs thanku XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 19 hours later

You need not worry at all.

I would suggest you to continue with the treatment advised.

If you are still anxious about the problem then the only way to allay it is to get an endoscopy done. Do not worry about the safety of the procedure. Endoscopy can safely be done without any problem.

With regards