Burning sensation in ribs while doing gym work. Hurts while coughing or sneezing. What's wrong?

I was at my local climbing gym about two weeks ago bouldering. I was working on a route that started with me sitting on the ground in a pretty bunched up position straddling the corner of a "boulder". The first move was a long reach up which required a bit of a full body lunge. As i was lunging one time something happened in my lower abdominal/lower rib area. It almost felt like my lower rib got stuck on my hipbone as i was pulling my butt off the ground? There was an immediate burning sensation in the lower right side of my ribs that lasted a few minutes then went away. I decided after trying to climb again 20 minutes later that it was defiantly too sore to climb on so i went home. I havent noticed too much pain other than when i cough or sneeze. When I sneeze I feel a lot of pressure and a sharp pain in the area. It has not gotten any better in two weeks even after not climbing or doing yoga 3-4 times a week. I've felt around in the area and the only thing that feels sore is the tip on one rib and the muscle around it. Ive had no other pains other than when trying to stretch.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 hours later

It seems like you have had a strain on your muscles and also may have injured your lower ribs.

Please relax; nothing is of major health concern here.

I have read through the events that occurred. To my opinion, it seems like costo-chondritis that is ongoing due to the trauma sustained.

Rib conditions are very painful and yes, they do increase with pressure like sneezing and coughing.

You must give adequate rest to the affected portion now until the time it heals. You can apply a transdermal painkiller patch or even apply ointment such as Volini (Diclofenac) to the affected area.

Please refrain from doing any sort of exercise now including the yoga, for another 7 to 10days.

You will be fine soon. If your symptoms do not improve in 1 week's time, consider getting yourself examined by your Primary care Physician.

Get well soon.