Burning sensation in penis with urinary hesitancy. What could be done?

I am a male age 75.I feel like I must urinate but not able.When I try I get burning in the penis.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be retention of urine Detailed Answer: Hi, What you have described sounds like retention of urine. This happens when there is an obstruction to the passage of urine. This can also happen when the bladder muscle becomes weak. There are two or three common causes for the obstruction to occur - in cases of prostate enlargement, or if there is a stricture which is an impediment to urine flow, or when a stone from kidney or bladder has come and is obstructing the outlet. Either way, the best way to tackle this is by having a few basic tests done after some physician / surgeon / urologist has examined you. If they find that the bladder is over distended, they might suggest you to have a urinary catheter to let the urine come out without impediment from the bladder. If the bladder is not over distended, you might be served well by starting some medications, some of which like Flomax are what we call 'alpha-blockers', and help reduce the tone of the bladder neck, and aid you in passing urine better. If there is a stone obstructing the passage, this needs to be removed, which is a simple endoscopic procedure. Some urologists might recommend you to have an additional procedure for opening the outlet if they feel this is very obstructed. In patients who have an under-active bladder, as might happen due to long-standing diabetes mellitus, your urologist might ask you to get a test called urodynamics done before any further intervention. Hope I have been able to help you. Regards.