Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation in penis. Took antibiotic for suspected UTI. Getting lower back pain. Any treatment?

Jan 2013

hello there. i have a burning sensation in my penis. noticably in the tip and shaft along with general discomfort. 7 days ago GP prescribed antibiotics as a suspected UTI. urine sample came back normal. since then lower back pain as well. problem persists and is getting worse.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

There may be high possibilities of fungal infection at glans penis.
Presence of discomfort and burning sensation suggests the diagnosis.

Had your urine sample been examined for the presence of infection?
What was the report?
Urine infection may cause burning sensation in urine while at penis is rare.

Candida albicans is a commensal fungus present in human beings.
It gets proliferated after any sort of breech in immunity. This could be due to fever, anemia, any sort of infections, immunosuppressive states such as AIDS, chemotherapy induced, during menstruation in females and even sun exposure.
Even antibiotics use may also cause proliferation of fungus.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should apply antifungal ointment . You should also take antifungal oral preparations also.
Kindly avoid applying soap and water at irritated site.
Body also tries to inhibit the proliferation of fungus by lubrication and lubrication gets removed after repeated soap and water application.
Complete recovery may take 10-14 days.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Burning sensation in penis. Took antibiotic for suspected UTI. Getting lower back pain. Any treatment? 16 minutes later
Thanks Dr

Urine was tested for infection and it was negative.

The burning sensation is XXXXXXX and not external. also exists lower back pain and groin pain. (although i am active in running so groin strains are some times present anyway).

I am preparing for the worse. i have read about STD's but i have had the same partner for 7 years. however i understand these can lie dormant for years and years. should this be a concern.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 16 minutes later
There appears to be least possibility of urine infection as urine routine investigations is normal.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging studies to rule out any pathology related with urinary tract.
STDs generally manifests with some localized lesion which is absent in your case (you have penis discomfort and burning sensation).
STDs which remain in dormant condition are generally viral and fungal infection.
Considering all symptomatology, possibility of fungal infection appears to be high.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava