Burning sensation in joints, on medication for BP, history of high blood pressure. High BP cause of joint pain ?

My mother is 76 years old, she has high blood pressure and is on medication. She has been having attacks where she feels her body is burning from the inside out specially in her joints. The doctor believes is due to her high blood pressure but my mother is convinced there is more to these attacks.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Depending how high the blood pressure actually is it could create a number of systemic symptoms which could certainly give the sensation that you have described.

In addition I am sure there are medications which are being given to help with the blood pressure and it is possible that side effects of these medications may be causing some of what she is experiencing.

It would be unusual for elevated blood pressure to cause problems with the joint pain or inflammation. There are some blood tests which can be done to check to see if there is some degree of general information going on. These blood tests include sedimentation rate as well as CRP.

Also if she is used to having a very high blood pressure and now it is lower or more desirable it may take some time for her body to get used to the new blood pressure. Sometimes if an individual is dealing with blood pressure which has been elevated for a significant period of time and the medication is given to bring the blood pressure down to the lower range if you feel very uncomfortable for a number of days or even a couple of weeks.

I suggest that for the time being you continue to monitor her progress. Her doctor may also consider checking her for some degree of inflammation which could be causing some of the joint of discomfort.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert