Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation in glans of penis after sex and orgasm, priapism, infection, friction

Question
the glans of my (circumcised penis) has what is like a burning sensation, is painfully sensitive after orgasm and has been for some time. i have to wirhdraw very very slowly and cannot stand a hand on it or being rubbed just after orgasm. Now it has stared to feel that way before orgasm. What is this and what can i do to prevent?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

This may be due to any of these reasons

1.Priapism : this is a condition associated with pain, during erection , it is due to a problem in the arterial blood circulation and may need immediate treatment
2. Infections: any infections in the penis and the reproductive tract or urinary tracts may present with these symptoms
3.Normal reaction due to friction after sexual intercourse of long duration.
4. Sickle cell anemias, illicit drug use like marijuana, etc may also be a reason
5. Prostatitis: inflammation of the prostate glands.

I suggest you to get an examination for the above conditions done from a doctor, the doctor would be able to come to a conclusion and provide the correct treatment.

You may also require a few blood and urine tests to check for anemia and infections. A course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs will help.

I hope I answered your question. I will be available for further queries as well

Follow-up: Burning sensation in glans of penis after sex and orgasm, priapism, infection, friction 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

I have checked against points 1,2,4 and 5 and am sure this is not the case.

3. I can understand it may be a reaction to friction, but it actually occurs even if i orgasm v quickly. I know that many women will continue to rub after a man has come so it makes me feel this is not a common condition.

My thought is that the skin on my glans is too dry or something like that - probably as a result of being circumcised and the glans exposed all the time.

Too embarrassed to ask around on this to find if this is normal - nor are ther many men I know who are circumcised.

Could this be the case? and if so, what could i do to alleviate this?
thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes dry glans can cause this. The friction adds to the problem.

There will be a temporary loss of oily glands and they will revive soon.

You should not worry about this or be embarrassed at all. Just apply available moisturizer like Petroleum jelly which helps the skin to slide over.

I am sure you will be alright in just 3 to 4 days.

Wish you Good Health.