Burning sensation in food pipe when eating. Not cured by gastric medicine. Proper diagnosis and remedy?

ENT Specialist
Initially it started with burning sensation in food pipe while eating food. Took medicine(Zintac, rantac) it as a gastric problem as an initial diagnosis. The problem continued. Consulted Gastroenterology who advised for some tests which included x-ray, Laparoscopy, tissue test, scan with liquids and food pipe dimensions. All tests showed no result but actual problem exists. Later, the same doctor prescribed two medicines( Lafaxid-d and Montair+) considering the problem as infectious/allergic like. But even after taking it for months together the problem still exists. Now, it has become more worse like:-
1. Food gets choked at the throat and nothing can be swallowed the whole day.
2. Difficult to drink water even or any liquid.
3. Each spoon of food requires water feed to push the food inside.
4. The food stays just below the throat for a long time and omitting is the only way to relax.
5. A thick white solution like will come out when omitted.
6. Cough also got introduced now.
7. As soon as I get sleep, cough wakes me up and this cough is with me from past 1 month.
8. At-least the cough exists for 2-4 hours and then will get to actual sleep.
9. During sleeping, the food comes to nose or through throat sometimes or when coughed.
10. Eating and sleeping have become difficult in life.

Please comment with genuine answers as I have met many doctors till now, but no proper solution yet!
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding feeling of obstruction in swallowing, and vomiting occurs just after taking anything. During sleep food comes out of nose.

Since you have been examined and investigated by endoscopy but no abnormality detected.You have been tried antacids, anti allergic but no responce you got in a positive way.

I think you are now suffering from anorexia with GERD.So it will be better to get yourself investigated for liver and renal functions.Thus you should do-

(a) Liver function test- Serum bilirubin, SGPT,LIPID PROFILE.

(b) Renal function test- Serum creatinin, blood urea , uric acid.

In the mean time till the reports are awaited you may take-

(1) Tab Stemetil (5 mg) twice daily.

(2) Rabeprazole (150 mg) three times a day.

I hope in this way your problem may be solve and treated.