Burning sensation in eyes. Is it after effect of a stomach flu?

My eyes feel like they're burning red, but they look fine. I'm wondering if this is a temporary side effect of recovering from a stomach flu?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Burning of eyes could be because of several causes.
Conjunctivitis causes by infection with various bacteria or virus can be responsible for burning of eyes. But this will be associated with redness and discharge from eyes which you are not having
Allergies could be responsible for this. Recurrent episodes occur with burning, itching etc.
Pollution (smoke) and irritation because of various chemicals can be responsible for this. Avoiding the irritant and some rest to the eye is required here.
Dryness of your eyes can be responsible for your burning sensation. Sitting infront of the computer with out blinking the eye may be responsible for burning sensation.
Lack of proper sleep and rest may also be responsible for some burning sensation of eyes.
Wearing of contact lenses for prolonged period may be responsible for burning sensation. Extreme weather conditions may also be responsible for this.

Some rest along with cold compresses may help to reduce the problem. Artificial tears prescribed by your doctor will help.

If burning is associated with watering of eyes and redness I request you to contact your doctor for a physical examination.

Hope this helps.