Burning sensation around belly button. Pap smear normal. Worried for hernia

well i"ve been to a doc twice and she did a pap she thinks i'm fine but been having a burning around my belly button to the right side and in to lower abdomen but sometimes it feels like upper right abdomen, i did try and lift a trash can that was way to heavy could this be an XXXXXXX hernia or women promblems she said everything looked good for my pap.....
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 37 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question.
It would be very unlikely for a pap smear to explain what is going on in the abdomen. The pap smear tells us the nature of the cells in the cervix of the woman, to either an early cancer of the cervix or not.
The abdominal symptoms you present deserve a different evaluation. Depending on the evolution, duration, intensity, associated symptoms, relieving symptoms, trigger factors and amelioration factors. this could orient towards a diagnosis. It would be unlikely that these symptoms be associated to an XXXXXXX hernia or whatsoever.
Visiting her ultrasound shall be useful in suggesting either an intestinal cause or a gynecological cause. Coupled with blood exams like a full blood count, serologies for chlamydia and other STIs, urine exams and cultures common diseases like appendicitis, ovarian cysts and urinary tract infections shall be ruled out.
Consulting her primary care physician is important for a proper evaluation and these tests to be run for a clear cut diagnosis to be made.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Burning sensation around belly button. Pap smear normal. Worried for hernia 6 minutes later
well we did a urine test both times and everything looked good she said. she pushed hard and said that we would wait and see . my physical exam was reassuring. she didnt do lab work because im like alot of people are not insured so how much does a ultra sound cost? she asked about the sti ive been tested a year ago if not more and im in a monogamous relationship. so lab work and ultra sound is needed? thank you
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
I think the ultrasound is pretty important, but its not expensive generally. A complete lab exams will be reassuring too.
I suggest she does it, thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.