Burning sensation and heaviness in chest. Diagnosed with acidity. How to get relief?

Excellent

Question
Hello Doctor, Twenty one days back i got pain in the left side of chest.I took one tablet
for that then i got pain in the right side of chest as well.Actually pain got turned into
burning sensation.so i consulted gastrician for that.He did endoscopic and told i have some form of Acidity.I felt like some form of heaviness or discomfort in the lower left side of
chest.This is not causing any pain.i felt like some pressure is applied on it.I am getting releif when i am sleeping or walking.what should i do for this.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Hi.

Thank you for writing to us.

At first, I would like to rule out a cardiac cause (due to the chest pain). Which can be done by taking an EKG and getting your cardiac enzymes checked (blood test).

If your gastroenterologist has diagnosed a condition that is related to 'acidity', this should most probably mean you could be suffering from conditions like: GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), hiatus hernia, achalasia cardia, etc. These conditions are relieved by exercise (as you have mentioned), among other things.

Treatment includes:
-Antacids (aluminium/magnesium containing solution)
-H2 receptor blockers (to reduce acid production in the stomach; eg. ranitidine, famotidine, etc.)
-Proton pump inhibitors (eg. pantoprazole, esomeprazole, lansoprazole, etc.)
-Lifestyle modifications (diet, exercise, small and more frequent meals, avoid oily/fatty food, etc.)

I hope this helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.
Best wishes.

Follow-up: Burning sensation and heaviness in chest. Diagnosed with acidity. How to get relief? 1 hour later
Till today i haven't took any medicine related to this discomfort ,acidity.can you suggest me one medicine or i should take it after the results of reports?.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Hi. Thank you for the follow up query.

This condition does not necessarily come because of the consumption of other medication. It can be due to many reasons.

I would suggest for you to wait till your reports come. But, if you are really facing a lot of trouble you could consume: tablet pantocid 20 mg (1 - 0 - 1, to be taken 15 minutes before breakfast and dinner). This is only temporary treatment till your condition is diagnosed. Once a diagnosis is made, your doctor will prescribe advise according to your condition.

If I have answered all your queries, you can rate my answers after closing the discussion, or write back to me for any further clarifications.
Best wishes.