Burning sensation after taking medication for boil on leg. No taste. Should we see an ENT?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor ,
Approximately an year back my mom had a Infection (Boil) in her leg for which she took a medication (Seems like Anti-biotic) from a doctor new our place (he was not our family doctor) after using the course for 5 days she started getting burning sensation in her mouth and the mouth walls (The part below her lips inside the lips) and that part turned black (greyish) ,She has consulted other doctor after that and he has suggested some other tablets .The issue seems to subside for few days and started reappearing again , This time its much more worst .She is not able to taste anything and she has the burning sensation .Our family physician asked us to consult a ENT specialist . Can you please suggest if this is a ENT case or should we see any other specialist ?
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later

I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of information provided it appears that
1. It is some kind of drug reaction
2. It may be a purely unrelated entity - disease of oral mucosa

It can also happen in Vitamin B deficiency secondary to antibiotic usage. But this is more of a burning sensation in oral cavity and examination shows a red appearance of mucosa. This appears to be a unlikely probability

I feel it is wise to consult a ENT surgeon and plan for a biopsy from the lesion. Histopathological examination of the biopsy material will give a definite diagnosis

I hope this answers your concern
Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it
with regards
Ravinder Sharma