Ask a Urologist   »  

Burning sensation after passing urine. Proscribed loxof after urine report. Is this safe?

I had slight burning sensation after passing urine andI have 8-10 WBC in urine routine and culture report is negative. I was prescribed first Loxof 500 mg and after urine report! Niftas one BD and Flotral one OD. I had syncope following same and cardiologist advised to stop Flotral as I am a pacemaker patient. Can yo advise safe medication?
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Flotral is actually a fairly safe drug among the class of medicines we call alpha-blockers which are given for patients with difficulty in voiding urine. The one significant side-effect it can have, though less than others of its class, is 'postural hypotension', i.e. a sense of reeling of the head which can happen if a patient gets into a standing posture from a lying position very rapidly. Most patients however get used to this within a few days and experience little or no discomfort., but a few patients may find this very trying. If this reeling sensation is indeed what you have, you should certainly avoid this medication, especially considering that you have pacemaker implanted.
In view of the fact that you had only mild burning sensation, you can probably try some other milder medication for your urinary discomfort like Phenazopyridine thrice daily after meals along with some citra alkaline solution which can be prescribed by any physician. Also, an increased consumption of oral fluids also might help in reducing urinary discomfort, if there is no specific restriction placed by the cardiologist on the amount of fluids that you can consume in a day.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Burning sensation after passing urine. Proscribed loxof after urine report. Is this safe? 31 minutes later
Thanks for your input. Kindly note that I had a syncope attack on 3rd day of Flotral and yes postural hypotension as I got up at night. I fainted and even got hurt, after all evaluation cardiologist came to conclusion of Flotral being the cause.
Should I continue with Niftas 100 mg or switch to Phenazopyridine and also pls advise the citra alkaline solution. There is no restriction on fluid intake.

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
You can take Niftas and Phenazopyridine (pyridium) together. Citra XXXXXXX is easily available with most medical shops and often does not need a prescription. As I mentioned earlier, please do take plenty of fluids.